Instagram has over 300 million monthly users, and grew x3 in the past 2 years
Are you trying to build a following on Instagram? Instagram is the most visual platform on social media: with an active, engaged community. Don’t be afraid to experiment on Instagram: if it doesn’t work, try something different next time. If you’re new to Instagram or trying to grow your community, here are some Instagram strategies for your next PR campaign that are proven to work, from the smart folks at KISSmetrics.
10 Instagram strategies to boost your next PR campaign:
1. Instagram has 100% organic reach
Your followers will see your posts – so post often!
2. Photos get more engagement than videos
So post more photos than videos, but mix it up!
3. The best captions for e-commerce are long descriptions, not questions
Be sure to use hashtags in your description: Instagram makes it very easy to sort and search topics by hashtag, ie #PurveyorofPR
4. Photos that are primarily green get more engagement than other colors
Experiment with different colors of background and text to see what colors your audience responds to.
5. Photos with no filter get the most engagement for e-commerce
Filters are fun to design creative photos – but if filters lessen your engagement, don’t use them!
6. Wednesday has the highest engagement rate on Instagram
Highest Instagram engagement by day of week is close: it only varied from a high of 4.9% to 4.4% on the lowest day. But to get the biggest bang from your post, try Wednesday!
7. Post yellow or blue photos to encourage viewers to buy your product
Understand the psychological influence of colors on your audience so you can optimize your visuals for maximum engagement.
8. Worst day to post on Instagram is Monday
With an engagement rate of only 4.4%, Monday has the lowest engagement rate on Instagram. But its only .5% behind the highest day, Wednesday.
9. Instagram has a real-time feed display
So your posts get equal visibility as accounts with larger audiences – there’s no bias for bigger brands.
10. The best times of day to post are
- 4pm – 6pm
Post when your target audience is on Instagram! But if your audience is active on Instagram at midnight, and you’re sleeping, we’re a fan of Onlypult to schedule Instagram posts.
Here is KISSmetric’s infographic The Science of Brands on Instagram
For More Information on Instagram PR Strategies
Alchemy Communications: 5 Tips for Using Instagram for PR Campaigns
author: Kathryn Bechthold, Communications expert in Calgary, AB. Owner/CEO of Alchemy Communications Inc.