Creating a website that leads customers to your business is one of the first steps in creating a good inbound marketing strategy.
Marketers typically spend 90% of their time and budgets on outbound marketing and only 10% on their inbound marketing. There are important differences between outbound and inbound marketing. Outbound Marketing is what people traditionally think of when they consider marketing. In outbound marketing, marketers broadcast a message, and hope it reaches the people it targets, and that they respond to the message. Advertisements, sales calls, and emails are a few examples of outbound marketing. Inbound Marketing is a strategy used by marketers to “be found” by customers, and to bring qualified leads to your business. Inbound marketing tools include websites, blogs, emails and social media.
In today’s world of constant connectivity and social networks, it is becoming increasingly important for businesses to focus their marketing efforts on inbound marketing. The major strategies of inbound marketing are content creation, lifecycle marketing, personalization, multi-channel, and integration (HubSpot).
10 tips for building an inbound website that converts
1. Define your audience: Know who you are selling to and why. Look at the trends and personas of your target market segment. Once you know who you are trying to reach, your website content strategy should flow smoothly.
2. Tell your visitors exactly what you do within the first 30 seconds of landing on your homepage. What your company does will be one of the first questions a potential customer will ask when landing on your website. They want to know if your company will meet their needs, and they want to know quickly.
3. Use images when producing content: Visual content in content creation is a huge advantage. Try not to use stock photography, use photos of your business, products, and people when possible.
4. Create content that is relevant to not just your business, but to the industry. Having your pulse on industry trends and changes will put your company at an advantage because you will be more adaptable, and it will give your customers a good understanding of who you are.
5. Optimize your website: Keywords and mobile optimization are a priority. Keywords allow your business to be more searchable so your audience can find you, mobile optimization allows your site to be easily found and searched where your audience is: increasingly on smartphones and tablets.
6. Testimonials are important: Customers who have used your product or service and provide a positive testimonial act as fans, endorsers, and promoters. Word-of-mouth is very powerful and effective form of marketing.
7. Build your site for every type of customer: learners, shoppers and buyers. Your customers will be at various stages in their purchase journey and having content for every stage will appeal to more people in your target market.
8. Talk about the why more than the what: show the value of whatever it is that you do. Your value proposition is what sets you apart from your competitors – everyone will be talking about the same product, but only you can differentiate your company from the competition by defining your value proposition. Your business’s story is what sets you apart from the competition.
9. Make navigation super simple: Emphasize is on simple website design and navigation. Make sure that important information is easily found, and a potential customer can get the information he or she needs.
10. Create an amazing user experience: Following the first 9 steps will make your website amazing, and stand out among the competition.
Following these 10 inbound marketing tips will put your small business on the path to an inbound marketing that strategy that will attract an audience to your website, generate leads, and convert your leads into customers.
For More Information on Inbound Marketing
IMPACT Branding and Design: What a Great Inbound Marketing Website Looks Like
HubSpot: The 2012 State of Inbound Marketing Practices and Trends
SiliconCloud: Strong Content + Hubspot = Successful Inbound Marketing